Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, April 4, 2011

ADD: Part 1

Tyler, my adorable 8 year old mini-me, has had a hard first year in Franklin. He has been through a lot. He was going to have to make new friends, start 2nd grade at a new school, and leave everything he knows behind. He has been a trooper. Thankfully he is a "Go with the flow" kid.

So shortly after he got here he started school at Moore Elementary. The school system is great. And from what I have heard, Williamson County and Franklin Special School District are the best around. This made me happy. With that, I have been told more than once when I have mentioned Moore Elementary that this school is like going to a private school. Highest grades around. Yay! But...

Tyler has never had a problem in school. He is a smart kid. But this year has been quite different. I have liked Moore but I am a little disappointed. I really like his teacher, but I would not have put a brand new student that is new to town from a different state in her class. She had twins in October. Which means she was out on bed rest a month before her maternity leave in October and most of November. So Tyler's class had a 2 substitutes during this time. No stability. She has returned, which has been nice.

So...the issue at hand. Tyler is very active. Always going going going! And so am I. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was in 5th grade. I thank my teachers and parents for attending to my needs and seeking help with this. Well, I am now in their shoes. I have met with Tyler's teacher. She has been so helpful and gave me some insight on school life with him. We have come to a mutual agreement, Tyler more than likely has ADD. I see the signs daily. We struggle with homework. Tyler knows the material but does not apply it or cannot stay focused enough to apply it and sometime learn the material.

Our next step is to go to the pediatritian to see about medication and symptom management, our appointment is on Wednesday. I understand that there a lot of children out there that have this disorder and there are some out there that have been labeled with ADD because they are just plain hyper and have discipline issues. I think that it is over-"diagnosed". The children and adults that really do have it, are the ones that are suffering from the negative opinions given to this disorder. I could go on and on about ADD (that will be for a new post...later). I have done my homework.

Please pray for Ty buddy, our new pediatrician, me and my sanity during this journey. Its going to be a trying time for us, but with steady prayer and God's help, we will get through it.

No comments: